Thursday, June 19, 2014

Notice Me: A Poem of Aphrodite



Notice Me: A Poem of Aphrodite
(in the Spirit of Sappho)
By Linda Ann Suddarth



Inanna gathered all the me.

The me were placed on the Boat of Heaven.

The Boat of Heaven, with the holy me,

pushed off from the quay.

Inanna, Queen of Heaven and Earth


Desire has shaken my mind

As wind in the mountain forests

Roars through trees.

Sappho, 15




I am a sea-shell

sing through me,

radiate scarlet

to the western sky.

Laughter’s darling

is the breeze

that lifts my hair

cools the sweat

on my neck.

I am the wind silvery

with glee,

the trees ravished

with desire,

bending bodies

as if they remember

some pre-tree time

and the motion of water,

leaves like hair

sweep the earth.

Centuries run round

circles of the sun

Inanna, Ishtar, me.

Beauty catches the poet

by surprise

notice me.

Notice the glow

of youthful skin

the playful glance

remember the giggle

that catches running

from each silly child

to the other

until no one is immune.

Though I shout “stop-stop!

My sides are hurting”

notice me rolling

from side to side

finally breathless

no laughter left

until eyes meet again

erupt into a giggle-dance

again and again.

Recognize what Beauty is,

I am the purple

interwoven into everything,

the silence between things,

the song, the cricket’s chirp,

the heavy stillness

of dead heat in Su(m)mer,

the quiet of snow falling,

The wee hours

when traffic dies away.

Remember in the desert

the sound of ocean waves,

remember in the mountains

the vista of the prairie,

remember in old age

the beauty of your mother

when she was young

her hair brown and soft.

Notice me

even in the pain of love

the absence of love

I am the presence

in what is not.

I am color—

what makes you

choose one over another.

A painting for this wall?

Or to leave it white?

Like the brrrrrr

in a man’s deep voice

or the delicate collar-bone

peeping through a woman’s blouse

desire springs through

all things life-giving,

wonder at it,

this is me
this is yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment